When British Airways involuntarily changes a booking, the customer maybe entitled to a full refund. Previously, any refund requests for eligible disrupted bookings could only be processed via an offline process; either by calling British Airways Trade Support or by completing an online webform. With these offline processes, agents would not receive an instant confirmation, and may have faced some time delays for receiving confirmation of their refund request being processed by British Airways. We have now built capability within the NDC APIs to process refunds for disrupted bookings.
- Agents will be able to get instant confirmation of their refund requests being processed by British Airways.
- Agent will not need to fill out the webform to contact British Airways Trade support for refunds
The objective of this requirement is to automatically process refund requests for an eligible disrupted booking.
There are no changes to the request/response xml structure that the agent currently uses for cancellation of a non-disrupted booking.
Out of scope:
For any 'out of scope' bookings, these can still be requested for refunds via the APIs, however, these will be queued for manual processing and therefore instant confirmation of processing will not be received. You will receive an e-mail confirmation once these ‘out of scope’ requests have been reviewed.
For any of the following seven scenarios, the following message will be displayed "Your request will be processed manually".
Bookings which fall under the below criteria will be queued for manual refunds:
- If booking/ancillaries are purchased using card payment and the expiry date of the card is in the past.
- If booking/ancillaries has more than one form of payment.
- If at least one of the tickets/EMDs within the booking is reissued.
- If booking has at least one flown segment.
- If booking has more than one ticket per passenger due to reissued segments (E.g. Part flown reissue).
- If booking is created using negotiated fare (this rule is applicable only when agent attempts to cancel a disrupted booking via ba.com)
- If all segments in a held and confirmed booking is disrupted without any alternative
For any 'out of scope' bookings, these can still be requested for refunds via the APIs, however, these will be queued for manual processing.
There are plans to address the out of scope items as above. We will inform you once we have planned this into our NDC Roadmap.
All bookings which do not fall under the above criteria will be processed for refund instantly (for any refunds back to an agent’s BSP/ARC, these will follow timescales in line with the agent’s settlement plan)
Known Issues and Problems:
There is a known issue where OrderReshop response for refund quote of a disrupted booking will return the tax code instead of tax description in a few scenarios under the following xpath of response.
This will be fixed in future and we will notify you in our NDC Roadmap.